Thursday 23 August 2012

Thursday 23 August 2012 Wales

Off at 9am for quick spin around Wales. First I headed for Harlech Castle on the west coast, this is meant to be one of the star Welsh castles, really just a shell, but still seemed to be a destination for holiday makers as Harlech was very busy. These Welsh seaside places are very grey -grey granite stone & sort of grim, you can understand why they have the reputation of being "hard men". I'm not sure I could cope with living in any of the places I have seen today. From there I went onto Porthmadog, & the special welsh Highland Railway,  getting over to Harlech & Porthmadog was through  the Snowdonia National Park which is real mountain goat country, or sheep actually, most unlike the  soft English countryside of Herefordshire of the last 2 days.  Headed onto North Wales , back in  an easterly direction,  quite  harsh country, no other traffic really, (other than a few sheep) I don't know where they all were. I started looking for a B&B at around 4.30 to no avail, & ended up at a Premier Inn at Chester....they guarantee a good nights sleep, I'm not sure how with the  road 10 foot from the window, but we'll see.  

Snowdonia National Park, Wales

Harlech Castle, Wales

All signs in Welsh as well
Porthmadog, Wales

Porthmadog, Wales

The Welsh Highland Railway, Porthmadog, Wales




No comments:

Post a Comment