Thursday 16 August 2012

Wednesday 15th August Lake District

Up early & off, the chap at the hotel recommended coming off the M6 at Prestons for a GPS, which I did to no avail. I just drove around & around, found no electrical shops, found no shopping centre & the town itself quite depressing.  I meant to get back on the M6 but ended up in Blackpool instead. Found a place called Argos & bought the GPS - no easy feat as every one I chose from the catalogue was not in stock, finally got one with lane assist. Blackpool itself is amazing, seedy, garish, really awful. I went into the arcade to get some change for the pay & display parking & at 9.30am no patrons but the machines were all going, bright lights & the noise was incredible.

Came off the M6 at the south lakes turnoff & no problems finding the B&B at Grange-over-sands, it looks like a cockling beach. Finally arrived at 1pm after fannying about in Blackpool

Hosts Hat & Tom very welcoming - cup of tea etc & room & ensuite very nice

In the afternoon went for a drive around Lake windermere, very challenging driving, but beautiful. I was heading for Hill Top - Beatrice Potter's house - bu did not make it. I stopped instead in Grassmere at Dove Cottage where William Wordsworth lived for 9 or so years with his sister Dorothy,  Samuel Coleridge also stayed there. There was a seperate museum & Dove cottage very quaint.

Reasonably late by then, & raining so headed back, on the way it bucketed down, absolutely torrential. Luckily I found a hotel carpark to pull over.
Even though it looks like on the map 5 minutes, I did not get back to b&b till 6.30, after stopping for bottle of vin & chinese takeaway to eat for tea, as no pub within walking distance of the b&b & alcohol definately required!

No comments:

Post a Comment